1st Grade Highlights
Have you ever wondered what being flat feels like? Ever wished you could attend a Native American Potlatch? Ever tried trapping a leprechaun? First grade students at Grace Christian School get to explore these questions as the teachers desire to instill a love of learning and school while helping each child grow spiritually, academically, socially, and emotionally.
- As the basis for our faith, we start out the year teaching Creation, the Fall, and God’s promise of redemption through Jesus Christ.
- Continuing on through Genesis, we study the lives of Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Joseph.
- In preparation for Christmas, our weekly Bible verse memorization is Luke 2:1-7. Then back we go again for additional Old Testament studies of Samuel, David, and Elijah.
- We return to the New Testament for the life of Christ and His death and resurrection. We fill eggs that represent His story from the Last Supper to the Resurrection to share the Gospel with friends and family.
- First grade is a pivotal year as students learn foundational language arts and math skills, develop attitudes about education, and expand social skills.
- A major portion each first grade day is spent on language arts: reading, spelling, grammar, and writing. Our current curriculum is McGraw-Hill which includes “leveled readers” to accommodate differing abilities.
- We provide phonics-based “take home readers” to further develop reading skills at home.
- Our mathematics program uses manipulatives so that students may actively participate in and visualize concrete concepts and transition to abstract.
- We begin heritage studies by learning to identify continents and move to the study of Columbus and Native Americans.
- One of the highlights of the year is our “Potlatch” where students move through stations and learn about Native American culture. Students design drums, headdresses, vests and beaded necklaces which are worn during our Thanksgiving chapel.
- We return to geography at the end of the year as each student designs a Flat Stanley, sends him to a friend faraway, and reports to the class on his adventures.
- Our science curriculum covers: magnets, penguins, teeth, weather, five senses, space, and plants. In March, students design and bring to class a “leprechaun trap.” (One trap tore off part of the leprechaun’s shirt this year!)
- Our spring field trip to Science Works Museum is always a hit!
In first grade, we welcome parent involvement in the classroom. Your participation facilitates more opportunities for individualized attention, small group activities and projects. We look forward to having your child with us next year!